Sunday 31 August 2008

Horse sense



This time last week I didn't win the James Tait Black Fiction Prize- but what a buzz losing was. Rosalind Belben's 'Our Horses in Egypt' did win and she read beautifully from the first part of the story following Philomena, the horse requisitioned and shipped off to be used in the First World War. (That's Rosalind herself, on the left in the pink hat, at the post-prize book signing. I'm coping with what seems like a forceful fan of fiction on the right- really though she was a delight). I have no complaints. Both Ms Belben's writing and subject matter were especially pleasing to someone whose twin manias are horses and fiction. But give her a try even if they're not yours. Philomena's is a story you probably won't know and it's strange and needed telling. (AND visit http://www.ilph.org/makeanoise/ if you have the inclination- nothing changes, huh?)

And the Edinburgh Book Festival was bliss if your business is books: readers and writers filling Charlotte Square from morning till night plus the academic squad from the University: the professors, librarians, graduate students et al. They gave such a great party - especially welcome to an undeserving fictioneer who finds research a real trial. So much easier to invent and inhabit your own universe where standards of accuracy are up for continual renegotiation.

The champagne and head-patting aside, a visit to Edinburgh certainly tops up the reserve of something always threatening to run dry in my case: the belief that what I do on writing days is a decent way of spending my life.

So I discover another Stevenson fan and his wife- nice to meet you and Erin!- get my reading done despite the hangover and wander up and down Princes Street in the sun with husband and friends to take in the the acapella singers, bands and magicians (sic). Not QUITE perfect. Because not only didn't I win, the BBC4 crew fail to arrive in time to film my being brave and performing with enthusiasm despite the disappointment. So the country will never get to see just what a good loser I was. So I'm telling you.

4 comments:

Helen P said...

Hello Gee
Congratulations - winner or loser you were nominated and so loads of people will now have heard of you and want to read your books.
I had already heard of you and feel terrible that I haven't yet read your novel. I am just about to rectify that...
You won't remember me (no really you won't) but quite a few years ago I was part of your Heswall Wirral Writers group. Had to leave due to change in time of group meeting up plus the fact I found it increasingly difficult to read my work out loud. In the end I arrived with heart thumping and by the end of the two hour session my blood pressure was through the roof which is ridiculous given it was supposed to be a pleasant couple of hours spent in wonderful company!
Suffice to say I carried on writing and managed to persuade The Chester Chronicle to take on a 'mature' part-time trainee. My first article, for the agricultural page, covered the success of a firm in Aldford producing bull semen and after that I never looked back. (Well, you wouldn't really, would you?)
I was given restaurant reviews and property pages to do and then 18 months ago went freelance.
The point of my story is, although I'm not writing fiction, your writing group did toughen me up for criticism. Have now published in national newspapers and mags on property, architecture, womens' interest etc. but of course still hold a candle for fiction.
So - have joined a new writing group due to start soon in Chester and I am active part of reading group. We are having our first session after summer break this evening and will forcefully suggest Salvage!
If you do resume classes yourself, I promise I will be more resilient and will sign up like a shot!!
Best regards
Helen

gee said...

Hello and welcome
Thanks-you for that. I hope you enjoy Salvage.
I'm beyond pleased at how well you've done.It's so good to hear of writing success from past students, whether fiction or non-fiction. And you really seem to be developing an interesting career.I do some reviewing but still don't find the delivery of this number of words on that day easy to do.
Do keep in touch. Good wishes Gee

Helen P said...

Hello again Gee
I have now taken up blogging and changed my name - www.commissionme.blogspot.com. (I'm not really a Drama Queen, honestly!)
I have added you to my list of blogs to follow so would love to hear how your writing is going. My writing is not as creative as yours as I still have to do non-fiction to pay a few bills (I can't afford to pay all of them, I'm afraid.)
I find that freelance writing is 50% creative and 50% marketing but as I said last time, your writing group toughened me up and so calling commissioning editors is not as scary as it could be. Sometimes they are very pleasant on the phone; sometimes they just find very creative ways to tell you to 'Get lost'!
Anyway - I would love to hear how you're getting on and if you intend runiing another writers group sometime soon?

gee said...

Hi again

By my wicked lack of recent blogs you'll guess at least the writing is going- tends to take over at the moment. I'm working on a novel (starts in Oxford, moves to Rhyl!)and it's on my mind from the moment I wake. That's if it lets me sleep. Yes to all your other comments: writing groups are made to toughen you up! Keep ringing those editors and I will get back to running another group. Soonish.
good wishes